Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Peter King could be right!

As I nudge closer to making my picks for Super Bowl XLVII, selecting one out of 16 teams in each conference, I am taking into account the predictions of people like Peter King. In the Sports Illustrated NFL preview issue Peter has picked the Packers to beat the Broncos in New Orleans when the season culminates in February.

Interestingly, he has the Chicago Bears winning the NFC North with an 11-5 record. He has the Packers finishing 11-5, but advancing to the playoffs as a wild card. I really don't think the Bears will beat out the Packers for the division but they might make the playoffs.

He has the Packers beating the Cowboys, Bears and Saints to reach the Super Bowl.

King predicts Aaron Rodgers will be voted offensive player of the year, but that quarterback Peyton Manning of the Broncos will be selected most valuable player.

King has a story in the magazine about the astonishing number of passing yards put up by NFL offenses last season and wonders if a 6,000-yard passing season is on the horizon. The no-huddle offense is one reason for the increased productivity of passing offenses, and he quotes Packers coach Mike McCarthy on his use of no-huddle.

“I believe in attacking," McCarthy says. "I’m not trying to shorten the game when we run the no-huddle. I’m not trying to win by three, or win by making fewer mistakes. That’s not us.”

Denver is not a bad choice. It assumes, of course, that Peyton Manning will be Peyton Manning again. And Peter thinks that will happen, as evidenced by the fact that he thinks Peyton will be the MVP again, for a fifth time. On this I can not agree. I expect Aaron Rodgers to take that again.
 
I will unveil my picks only after all of the pre-season is over, all the cuts are made, and I have looked through the entire schedule, game by game. You can complain about Peter's picks, my picks, or anything else in the comments section below. Also if you like my blog, become a follower!

2 comments:

  1. I read Peter King's predictions last year. He said the Packers would play the Steelers in the Superbowl. You have to take his predictions with a grain of salt. As I always say "THAT IS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES". Enjoy the season and let things unfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a repeat of the previous year Mark. This year I think Peter did a better job. Yes, I do take predictions with a grain of salt. No matter who is making the predictions we are all just guessing and it is hard to predict injury which can ruin a season quickly. Most of the so called "experts" will be picking the Packers to win it all, which I love to see!

      Delete